[nycbug-talk] Request for Review, Summary of FreeBSD src fetching problems

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Fri Feb 15 14:36:56 EST 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Brett Wynkoop <nycbug at wynn.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 11:23:11 -0600
> Andy Kosela <akosela at andykosela.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 12:09 AM, Brett Wynkoop <nycbug at wynn.com>
>> wrote:
>> > So I say again someone better than me needs to write a basesnap
>> > utility and the server infrastructure needs to be put in place.
>> > This should be pretty trivial considering it will be basically a
>> > clone of portsnap!
>>
>> There is a saying in the Open Source world and definetly you know it
>> too.  You want something done the way you see it?  You better write it
>> yourself...
>>
>> svnup in the base would be nice though.
>
> I could probably hack portsnap to become basesnap in a couple of days
> (being realistic for testing and fixing bugs I am sure to introduce),
> but doing such a utility without buy in from those who decide on how
> stuff is put up on the http/ftp servers would be useless.  I believe,
> but I have not had the time to look at it, portsnap requires specially
> generated files daily on the hosting servers.
>
> I am open to suggestions on how to get buy in at that level.

Would it be not more beneficial to implement something similar to
csup(1) but working with subversion instead of going portsnap way?
That way you don't need servers infrastructure.  It's all already set
up in place.  My understanding is that the frustration comes from
multiple levels of dependencies for subversion.  A lightweight svnup
would be an ideal solution for that.

--Andy