[nycbug-talk] jabber server suggestion

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Thu Feb 21 01:39:29 EST 2013

On Feb 21, 2013, at 1:21 AM, Brett Wynkoop wrote:

> Greeting-
>
> I have decided to put a jabber server up on my BeagleBone.  I
> discovered the other night that iChat on the Mac can use jabber, so the
> mission of this server is to allow my wife and I to video chat via
> iChat when one of us is traveling and the other is home.
>
> Those of you who know me well will understand why suggesting skype, or
> yahoo, or name-your-favorite-big-player is not how I want my traffic
> handled.
>
> So I am looking for a suggestion of a jabber server that will go up
> nice, easy, and clean without needing weeks of study to figure out the
> config file settings needed.  Any ideas?

I didn't find anything that was really simple when looking, but I'm running this internally for a client and it felt like the least bad option at the time:

http://www.freshports.org/net-im/ejabberd
http://www.ejabberd.im/

It requires erlang.  I'm running it on a fairly old crapbox:

CPU: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3000+ (1799.81-MHz 686-class CPU)

The box does have 2GB of RAM, but the jabber process is not too much of a pig:

543      1438  0.0  3.3 40876 32472  ??  SJ   26Dec12   4:54.18 [beam]

All I can say about it really is that it works, and the config was not too tough.  Never got the "push contact lists to clients" thing working, but that could be client-side issues.  Have not tried any audio/video chat features, just plain old text.  I've had zero issues since installing it though, it tends to "just work".

> I probably want to avoid java as I have no clue if it can even be built
> on ARM.

I ran some other java based jabber server for a bit.  Even if you could build java, the thing was using a ton of memory from the get-go and only got worse as time went on.

Charles