[nycbug-talk] CISPA 2.0's invasion of privacy is a huge and urgent problem

Brian Gupta brian.gupta at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 11:58:37 EST 2013

My apologies for this intrusion, but my understanding is that many in
this group share a similar set of sensibilities when it comes to
privacy rights.

Very recently, I've personally come to the conclusion, that CISPA,
even in it's never "friendlier" incarnation, is a vaguely worded,
government sanctioned, invasion of individual privacy with no real
recourse for overreach or
abuse. In light of recent episodes of Prosecutorial overreach, and
stretching of laws to hound Aaron Swartz, we can't allow this to pass.
It's going to be hard, as I feel like we aren't going to get much
industry support, as this isn't a direct attack on internet
businesses, like SOPA was.

Please read this FAQ, it makes the flaws and issues clear, and helps
lay out action steps, if you want to get involved in fighting it.
https://www.eff.org/cybersecurity-bill-faq

So far I've done the following, but want to hear more ideas:

1) I've written to Senator Kirsten Gillibrand's office and got a
largely non-committal answer in response. (I think lots of people need
to write.)
2) I've tweeted about it:
https://twitter.com/HelixOne/status/307145540305580032 (This feeds
into my Facebook page.)
3) I've shared on G+ (from both my accounts):
   https://plus.google.com/u/0/103030499292048040964/posts/SaGdAJTQWgY?cfem=1
   https://plus.google.com/u/0/112857626163792726537/posts/QCgAXueMJSf?cfem=1
4) I signed this petition: http://act.demandprogress.org/act/cispa_is_back/
5) I've started writing emails.

I think we as a group should brainstorm and start reaching out to
other like minded groups as well.

Any other ideas? (Also, If you are acting or know of groups that are,
please consider sharing.)

Thanks,
Brian