[nycbug-talk] pkg breakage today?

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Wed Jan 2 15:05:54 EST 2013

On Jan 2, 2013, at 2:25 PM, Pete Wright wrote:

> On 1/2/13 10:55 AM, Isaac (.ike) Levy wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> So I may have chosen a bad day for it, but I've had need to wrap my hands around pkg(NG) in FreeBSD 9.1 today.
>>
>> Question:
>> Is it me, or are the remote pkg servers offline or something?  I've been following the handbook docs, and can't 'search' or then 'install' anything with it- and I mean anything.
>
> hey .ike - the old school pkg_add repositories are offline due to break-in on freebsd.org servers last year.

Gotcha, I need to read more,

http://www.freebsd.org/news/2012-compromise.html#update20121229

Sad to say I barely noticed, been prepping a migration from an old bleeding-edge Ubuntu shop, by building a gnarly stack up from sources.  All I've  been using is gcc and dtach (on machines built prior to the advisory dates).

> regarding pkgng repo's i've been building 91amd64 repo's on a server and using that to deploy packages on all my machines/jails etc.  feel free to use it - and let me know if you'd like anything added:
>
> PACKAGESITE         : http://pkg.nomadlogic.org/91amd64-default/
>
> things are working as expected on my end with this config:
> > pkg search lighted
> lighttpd-1.4.32_1              A secure, fast, compliant, and very flexible Web Server

Dude, that's quite sweet of you, I just gnabbed gcc (and related bits) from your box, which should be all I need to get me through the day!

And, if this pkg server does not belong to the pete at nomadlogic that I know and love, but instead belongs to some random stranger which hijack my box for it's own fun and profit, well, the box will be nuked soon enough- feel free to fun while it lasts.

Thanks Pete!

Best,
.ike