[nycbug-talk] pkg breakage today?

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Wed Jan 2 15:19:47 EST 2013

On 01/02/13 12:05, Isaac (.ike) Levy wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2013, at 2:25 PM, Pete Wright wrote:
>
>> On 1/2/13 10:55 AM, Isaac (.ike) Levy wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> So I may have chosen a bad day for it, but I've had need to wrap my hands around pkg(NG) in FreeBSD 9.1 today.
>>>
>>> Question:
>>> Is it me, or are the remote pkg servers offline or something?  I've been following the handbook docs, and can't 'search' or then 'install' anything with it- and I mean anything.
>> hey .ike - the old school pkg_add repositories are offline due to break-in on freebsd.org servers last year.
> Gotcha, I need to read more,
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/news/2012-compromise.html#update20121229
>
> Sad to say I barely noticed, been prepping a migration from an old bleeding-edge Ubuntu shop, by building a gnarly stack up from sources.  All I've  been using is gcc and dtach (on machines built prior to the advisory dates).
>
>> regarding pkgng repo's i've been building 91amd64 repo's on a server and using that to deploy packages on all my machines/jails etc.  feel free to use it - and let me know if you'd like anything added:
>>
>> PACKAGESITE         : http://pkg.nomadlogic.org/91amd64-default/
>>
>> things are working as expected on my end with this config:
>>> pkg search lighted
>> lighttpd-1.4.32_1              A secure, fast, compliant, and very flexible Web Server
> Dude, that's quite sweet of you, I just gnabbed gcc (and related bits) from your box, which should be all I need to get me through the day!
>
> And, if this pkg server does not belong to the pete at nomadlogic that I know and love, but instead belongs to some random stranger which hijack my box for it's own fun and profit, well, the box will be nuked soon enough- feel free to fun while it lasts.

lol no worries, and it is indeed the traitorous pete wright who left nyc
for lax!

sounds like you got a lot of fun going on over there there, and i can
def. empathize - i've just finished rebuilding most of CPAN for
RHEL5+perl-5.16.2 custom environment - so i'm glad i could help take a
bit of the frustration out of your day since i've recently been in an
equally painful situation :)

-pete

--
Pete Wright