[nycbug-talk] OT: I need a new steam boiler

Brett Wynkoop nycbug at wynn.com
Mon Jan 7 20:43:53 EST 2013

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 19:07:33 -0500
Andrew Stack <ajstack at gmail.com> wrote:

> The 24VAC is run off the secondary of the 120VAC transformer.  Look
> at the wiring diagram on your boiler/owners manual...Or just follow
> your 120VAC line into the boiler where it terminates.  Perhaps you
> could subvert the primary on the transformer, back feed the
> secondary  with 24 volts....and all your controls should work (i.e.
> the safety features.)  On the secondary side of the transformer...it
> should all be 24 volt...I don't know if VDC will create more heat in
> the circuit though......never tried it.

o  DO NOT PUT A BATTERY ACROSS YOUR 24 AC line!
   Bad things will happen.....believe me I am a licensed professional
   (yep I used to do something before computers)

o  Here is a proper way to do the backup dc thing using simple off the
   shelf components that you may already have around.

    110 VAC ---> 200 watt UPS --> 110/24 volt furnace xfrmr

Simple  and easy. The hardest part will be putting a plug on the
primary of the transformer to plug it into the UPS.

Your other alternative is something like this:

    110 VAC --> charger -> battery -> inverter -> 24 volt ckt on furnace

-Brett

--

wynkoop at wynn.com               http://prd4.wynn.com/wynkoop/pgp-keys.txt
917-642-6924