[nycbug-talk] OT: Lost in the internet

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Tue Jan 15 15:07:37 EST 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 11:44:33AM -0500, Mark Saad wrote:
>> All
>>  I happened on this fun to read pile of trash , fun to read alternate reality.
>>
>> http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?76481-FreeBSD-jails-are-insecure
>
> I would keep in mind that phoronix, in the Linux community as well as
> others, has a relatively poor reputation.
>
> Also, that with a user name like BSD sucks and dies, the poster probably
> has some personal axe to grind.
>
> There is (was?) a thread on the FreeBSD forums. Regrettably, some posters
> are reacting by just insulting Linux--penguin feces, while somewhat
> amusing, seems a bit like, Oh yeah?  Well, you're a bigger doody head.
>
> Just my opinion, of course, but the fact that both BSD and Linux, when
> combined, are only a very small percentage when compared to Windows and
> Apple users, and still have to try and find fault with each other, is
> somewhat of a time waster.
>
> Of course, try to say that Ubuntu is a great distribution on a Fedora Linux
> forum--even between the various distributions, there seems to be a great
> deal of ill-will.  My own opinion is that the best way to deal with
> something like this is not respond in kind, or even maturely in kind (that
> is, penguin feces is a more mature insult than BSD sucks and dies, but
> still an insult).
>
> Again, just my opinion, and I'll freely admit I'm a wimp who likes to avoid
> conflict, but it seems to me, looking at it, that getting into the insult
> fest, even mildly, makes all participants look bad.

Let's all go back to "my Commodore is better than your Atari"
arguments from the good ol days.  :)

I can understand criticism backed up by solid facts and research, but
this thread from the start is so full of childish insults, errors and
fallacies that it only could've been conceived in the mind of 17 years
old wannabe teenager hacker...

--Andy