[nycbug-talk] SaltStack and Ansible experience?

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Thu Jul 25 18:49:43 EDT 2013

On 07/25/13 15:43, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> While looking through the wikipedia list of configuration management software[1], I noticed a few new entrants that appear to have some momentum, Ansible[2] and SaltStack[3].  Both appear to have a fair amount of support for the *BSDs.  Both are python based.
>
> For example, looking at SaltStack's list of modules[4], I see support for lots of FreeBSD features: using pkgng (like full support - upgrading a package, fetching current package options, making a backup of an installed package), poudriere (trigger a bulk build, list/create jails and ports trees), and jails.
>
> Anyone here use either of these?  Ideally I'd like something a bit lighter, but SaltStack is intriguing so far.  I also need to see what Puppet currently looks like, but the few BSD-centric reviews I've seen of SaltStack and Ansible both note that support for at least FreeBSD is better than in Puppet-land and that both projects are happy to take patches.

I am a pretty big fan of Ansible - and the primary dev behind it was
also they guy responsible for cobbler and func (and worked at puppetlabs
in a key position for a while as well).

i've been a long time user of cobbler and func in small and *very* large
environments and have been quite happy with the quality of code and its
extensibility.  ansible seems to have the same DNA and community that
was built around cobbler, so i strongly suggest giving it a serious look.

-p

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org