[nycbug-talk] SaltStack and Ansible experience?

Thomas Kula kula at tproa.net
Thu Jul 25 18:58:48 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 06:43:38PM -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> While looking through the wikipedia list of configuration management software[1], I noticed a few new entrants that appear to have some momentum, Ansible[2] and SaltStack[3].  Both appear to have a fair amount of support for the *BSDs.  Both are python based.
>
> For example, looking at SaltStack's list of modules[4], I see support for lots of FreeBSD features: using pkgng (like full support - upgrading a package, fetching current package options, making a backup of an installed package), poudriere (trigger a bulk build, list/create jails and ports trees), and jails.

I use SaltStack at work and absolutely love it. I haven't used it for
any *BSD stuff yet, although at an upcoming hackathon I plan on spending
some time looking at the state of NetBSD support for SaltStack.

The community around it is pretty awesome and it's rapidly adding pretty
nice features. I picked it up and was able to do useful work with it
much more rapidly than I ever did with cfengine or Puppet. I'm fond of
the fact its written in Python as well.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula at tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/