[nycbug-talk] svnup(1) - worthy of promotion to base?

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Mon Mar 11 15:06:30 EDT 2013

On 03/11/13 08:31, Fabian Keil wrote:
> Isaac (.ike) Levy <ike at blackskyresearch.net> wrote:
>
>> --
>> My observations so far:
>>
>> svnup(1) speed "feel"
>>
>> Without opening up any cans of worms on SCM tools, I believe the 'git effect' creates some unrealistic expectations for the utility.  (Git's impact is so huge on development, it's become so popular, it affects/warps perception of other tools.)  git(1) has spectacular indexing/hashing, it's implementation is really thoughtful compared to svn(1).  So, remote fetching of deltas, on massive codebases, is extremely fast.
> But actually checking out the fetched deltas scales with
> the repository size.

i can attest to this unfortunately - been struggling with a poorly
thought out production system where we use git to replicate data to all
our POPs.  lets just say when re-calculating your repo's hashes takes
close to an hour you've made some terrible decisions :)

but back to your point, calculating checksums would most likely be a
non-trivial task for the entire FreeBSD repository
(usr+work+ports+gnats+www etc...).

-pete

--
Pete Wright