[nycbug-talk] Nas4Free

Jesse Callaway bonsaime at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 23:26:33 EDT 2013

This is some good advice. Also, before tearing your hair out at the cli on
this appliance see if there's an NFS option for going async <-- on the
client and the server

I can't tell you how long I've spent poring over numbers and doing large
writes vs many small writes and changing the buffers and playing with udp
vs tcp... meh. It can be a real pain getting the expected performance out
of NFS. Sometimes it's just not the right tool for the job, although I'll
have to say I'm not the most expert implementer.

If your tests involve contentious access then maybe see if there's any
improvement when splitting out the exports among the directories.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2013, at 8:27 PM, Nick Danger wrote:
>
> > Is anyone running nas4free and mounting via NFS? I just set up a box and
> I am having horrible write performance over NFS. Write only, reads are
> fine. And same partition mounted via CIFS works great reads and writes (to
> the same linux host even, just mount cifs instead of nfs).   I haven't been
> able to gleen any advice via google, and most of the NFS tuning advice is
> more like "how to eek the last few bits of speed" where as when I say
> horrible, I mean instead of 45 MB/s, I am getting 0.6 MB/s write
> performance.
> >
> > Any advice?
>
> Not a solution, but something to test.
>
> If you turn off sync writes on whatever fs you're exporting, does the
> write speed on nfs start to match smb?
>
> ie:  zfs set sync=disabled yourpool/yourfs
>
> Don't do that with important data, just use it for testing.
>
> Charles
>

> > Server: Nas4Free v9.1.0.1, 4 disks in a ZFS pool (raid1Z).  Client:
> Fedora 18, mounts 2 other NFS servers (working fine) and can mount the
> NAS4Free as CIFS or NFS. CIFS works, NFS is SLOOOOOOOOOOW. :-)
> > More details on request.
> >
> > Nick

-jesse