[nycbug-talk] pkgng question

Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com
Tue Mar 19 10:33:12 EDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Glen Barber <gjb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:08:47AM -0400, Mark Saad wrote:
>> >>

>> > Tricky question to answer without more info.  What is the port you
>> > customize?
>> >
>> > Glen
>> >

>> Glen in my case I use x11/slim build from ports. The current pkg in
>> http://mirrors.nycbug.org/pub/PC-BSD/packages/9.1-RELEASE/amd64/ has
>> some issue with intel video using KMS. Slim starts but when it trys to
>> switch to the wm it hangs up and restarts. I am not sure what the
>> issue is and I would like to rebuild and test out some things. If I
>> remove slim and go back to "startx" as my user there is no issue
>> starting X with my wm.
>>

> Hmm.  I use x11/slim with Intel i915kms no problem.  I'd really like to
> see the "real" problem fixed in this case then.

I agree but its still a good question, can a package be blacklisted or
held at a particular version . What about the case of an in house
package
like marks_custom_thing.tbz . Say I have a newer version in the repo
but I do not want to upgrade to it on some servers.

> For KMS to work, iirc, you need WITH_NEW_XORG and WITH_KMS in make.conf;
> do you have these?
>
> Glen

Glen , I hate to say it but I am not using ports to build this stuff.
I migrated to using all binary packages on one box. I am just pulling
down what PC-BSD has up on their pkgng repo. I would guess they are
using the with kms knobs to build their pkgs, since I am loading all
of the kms modules.

Mark Saad | mark.saad at ymail.com