[nycbug-talk] two FreeBSD questions

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue Oct 15 22:08:38 EDT 2013

On Oct 15, 2013, at 9:22 PM, George Rosamond wrote:

> Glen Barber:
>> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 08:29:00PM -0400, George Rosamond wrote:
>>> 1.  I don't see the svn revision number in my uname with -a on 9.2 or
>>> -CURRENT.  Apparently others do.  Anyone else?  Why?
>>>

>> What does 'svn info /usr/src' say?
>
> nothing!  I'm using the nyc*bug-pleasing tool called net/svnup ;)
>
> hirren on IRC said he sees the svn revision number in his uname -a, but
> says he didn't see it when things like world and kernel are out of sync,
> which is likely the case with the 9.2 box.
>
> Not having svn installed... that might matter?  Neither has svn installed.
>

>>> 2.  Now that FreeBSD CURRENT hit 11, do any FBSD devs know if the
>>> bleeding edge arm stuff is only hitting 11, or will 10 get the same
>>> attention with arm?
>>>

>> "It depends."  stable/10 will definitely have attention in these areas,
>> but changes that affect KBI (kernel binary interface) cannot be merged
>> from head/ to stable/10.
>
> right.  So the project will maintain 8.x, 9.x, 10.x and focus on 11.x?
>
> Here we go again!
>
> ;)
>
> Why the rush to 11 for HEAD?

I'd love for someone to continue/expand this list of major
changes/features:

* 1.x -> 2.x 	??
* 2.x.x		introduction of CAM in 2.2.8(?), which was awesome
* 2.x -> 3.x	SMP introduced
* 3.x -> 4.x	SMP improved, "the release which will not die", better threading(?), jails
* 4.x -> 5.x	SMPng, ELF, pf (5.3), more architectures, UFS2, bootloader changes(?)
* 5.x -> 6.x	amd64 in the .0 release, general stability, ?
* 6.x -> 7.x	ULE, multiple jail IPs, and that's about all I remember
* 7.x -> 8.x	production zfs, new USB stack, AHCI

Clearly I'm an old fart, as I get a bit lost after 8.x, and I know
very little about any major changes beyond 6.x.  :) There used to be
an (accidental?) pattern - up until 7.x, where the odd-numbered
releases were scary and short-lived and the even-numbered releases
would not die (3.x was cool, but scary, as was 5.x).  I still have
quite the soft spot for 4.11.

Totally a gut feeling, but I'd think you'd want at least 10.1 or
10.2 before talking too much about 11.x.  Damn you, Mozilla!

On the upside, as we approach the point of there being 4 active
releases out at one time, we can be thankful that we have numbered
releases and that there are no names like "Crack-Addled Chipmunk",
"Hallucinating Hedgehog", "Lactating Llama", or "Flatulent Ferret".
freebsd-questions@ would simply melt down if the project had taken
that route.

Charles