[nycbug-talk] Call For Participation: BSDP Working Group
jpb at jimby.name
Sun Sep 8 13:54:51 EDT 2013
I've done some work recently on the BSDP Lab Exam, and reached
a point where I would like to get a wider group involved.
Currently, we have the following elements in place for the BSDP
- Identified a list of tasks for an exam session (a 'form' in
psychometric terms). The list of tasks is aligned with the
knowledge domain percentages set by our psychometrician.
- Developed a written scenario that incorporates the list of
tasks noted above. The scenario forms the basis of the lab
exam booklet that the candidate uses to take the exam.
(The scenario is similar to one I presented at NYCBSDCon a
couple of years ago.)
- Developed a set of test scripts that test the completion of
each task. Most of the scripts for the first form are done.
There are a few issues with some tests that need some
The test scripts are written in Perl and make use of two
CPAN modules - the Test::More test harness and the
Net::OpenSSH module for connectivity to the virtual
There are a number of small (and larger) projects to be done
before we are ready to roll this out.
1. Finalize all tests and clean up the code for the first form.
Development of new tests for other forms is also needed.
2. Develop a professional looking report that can be created
immediately upon test completion for the candidate.
3. Develop an install DVD that can be used to prep workstations
for a lab exam. A prototype DVD exists and can be used
as a reference but a better idea would be ZFS snapshots.
4. Develop a Quality Assurance (QA) group for the scripts and
DVD, exam booklet, test report, and anything else.
The importance of this group cannot be overestimated. We
have been successful in the BSDA exam because we have had
many eyes looking at the process.
5. Develop a step by step guide for setting up a test center. An
earlier version of this guide can be used, but needs some work.
6. Develop some brochure materials and banner ads for the BSDP
... and more.
What I'm looking for is a group of 3-5 people to assist in the
above tasks. With some help, I think we can meet the following
- Demo of lab exam for vBSD Conference (October, 2013) with a
shorter list of exam tasks, and not the same ones as above.
Demo would be 2 exam workstations, exam fileserver, and network
- First Beta Exam in February 2014, hopefully at NYCBSDCon or after.
- We will need to plan additional Beta Exams in early 2014.
- Official launch at BSDCan in 2014.
Time commitment is what we need at this point. If you can put
3-5 hours a week on some of the above items we will be successful.
Please let me know if you are interested and I'll organize a
Thanks and Best Regards,
More information about the talk