[nycbug-talk] Fwd: ARM Architecture Reference Manual availability

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Wed Sep 11 22:04:45 EDT 2013

On 09/11/2013 10:42 AM, Brian Coca wrote:
> Very few of the decision makers in these businesses consider that being
> 'ecosystem' friendly might improve their sales, most of them concentrate
> on getting to market as soon as they can, with whatever crapware they
> can put on top to make it work 'well enough' to sell.
>
> In their defense, this is the current nature of 'the game' and most
> companies don't have resources to play nice with others.

while i tend to agree with most of your argument, but i'd offer this
counterpoint.  in my dealings with hardware vendors, and the engineers
doing the actual work, is that they target an OS for much the same
reasons "normal" people do:

- they are comfortable with OS to begin with
- it is well documented and easy to extend for their purposes
- it has a license that allows them to extend as they see fit.

i think that is why i have seen netbsd and freebsd pop up in a
surprising amount of embedded systems of late.

in fact i was just working with a dev (who is based in silicon valley
and india) who does his FPGA work on freebsd, but has to support linux
due to business cases of his endusers.  we had a good laugh about that
actually...

-pete

--
Pete Wright