[talk] This is a test (not just a test)

Craig MacGregor cmacgreg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 21:28:21 EDT 2014

It should only be an issue for @yahoo.com addresses (not @ymail.com), when
received by a mail service that also honors DMARC (notably, gmail. probably
aol and yahoo itself, too).  Mailman doesn't seem to strip out the yahoo
DKIM headers; does anybody want to try sending to the list with an @
yahoo.com address? My guess is that gmail users won't see it.

It is interesting to note that they have only enabled DMARC "reject" on the
primary yahoo.com, not ymail.com:

$ dig txt _dmarc.yahoo.com
#...
;; ANSWER SECTION:
_dmarc.yahoo.com.       1398    IN      TXT     "v=DMARC1\; p=reject\;
sp=none\; pct=100\; rua=mailto:dmarc-yahoo-rua at yahoo-inc.com, mailto:
dmarc_y_rua at yahoo.com\;"

$ dig txt _dmarc.ymail.com

#...
;; ANSWER SECTION:
_dmarc.ymail.com.       6448    IN      TXT     "v=DMARC1\; p=none\;
pct=100\; rua=mailto:dmarc-yahoo-rua at yahoo-inc.com\;"

the "p=" is the important part: "reject" any messages that don't pass DKIM
and SPF, vs "none", which is effectively test mode; the only action taken
is that a daily delivery log is sent to the address in the record.

-craig