[talk] coreboot

Sevan / Venture37 venture37 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 10:34:54 EST 2014

On 03/12/2014 14:37, George Rosamond wrote:
> There seems to be a lot of ACPI noise, especially on the FreeBSD dmesg.
>
> http://www.nycbug.org/index.cgi?action=dmesgd&do=view&id=2614
>
> Does ACPI work on any of the builds?

Yes, sleep & wake work

> Do you notice a difference in operation on any level?  Assume there
> isn't some noticeable increase in performance, right?

not got down to that, the most important thing for me on the ThinkPad
was it removed the PCI whitelist so I could install any wireless adapter
I wanted.
There's modified versions of the stock BIOS about, but not of the latest
release.
I don't think coreboot unlocks any new performance features (would be
interesting to see if it adds the turbo functionality on the core2duo as
per the modified variant of the X61 series BIOS) but I didn't notice any
regression.
I'd look at it more as what artificial restrictions imposed by vendor
does it remove, it would be a killer in the server market imo (imagine
servers that didn't take 5+ minutes to POST! or a auditable/sane IPMI
(like?) implementation ).

The most fun thing is there's a new BIOS image to flash nearly every day! :)

Sevan