very short overview of FreeBSD packages (fwd)

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Mon Jan 20 22:02:56 EST 2014

For what it's worth, DragonFly BSD switched to using pkg as a tool for
managing port binaries about halfway through the previous release.  It's a
much nicer way to do things.  When all the packages are there (and 'pkg
search' helps a lot with identifying packages), it's very DWIMmy.

DragonFly was using pkgsrc before switching to pkg/dports, and it's almost
impossible to manage software in an all-binary format with pkgsrc.  And
building from source isn't much fun either, but that holds for any
packaging system.