Net4801 Replacement

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Wed Jan 22 17:27:38 EST 2014

On Jan 22, 2014, at 3:27 PM, Pete Wright wrote:

> I recently replaced my Net4801 with a pc-engines ALIX board.  been very
> happy with it so far.  it has been out performing my Net4801 which isn't
> too much of a shocker due to the more performant CPU.
>
> I purchased it from netgate.com - this is pretty much the kit i bought:
>
> http://store.netgate.com/ALIX2D3-2D13-Kit-Black-Unassembled-P172.aspx

I keep being tempted by small units like this $100 PC:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119081

Of course, other than USB, no way to get more ethernet ports.  I do
wonder if USB support in FreeBSD/pfSense is good enough to rely on
for sub-100Mb/s WAN-side connections.

This one has dual ethernet, so that would cover my LAN plus the
cable connection, and I could relegate the DSL backup to a USB
ethernet adapter.  The specs also claim a PCI-e slot, but I'm not
clear on how you'd jam a network card in there:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856205007
http://www.oemproduction.com/products/2700L2D-MxPC.asp

Many of those cheap-o boxes have bad reviews, but it's mostly people
complaining that an old Atom can't do 1080p or run Minecraft
properly (derp).

I'm still relying on a Dell GX-110 with a P-III 600MHz.  It's OK,
but if if OOL bumps the speed much beyond what they have now, that
box is going to be a chokepoint.

Is ARM on FreeBSD progressing at a pace where we might one day be
able to load pfSense up on a routerboard?  For reasons too
complicated to explain at the moment, I have four of these on the
workbench, and the hardware is cool.  iptables though is making me
want to murder things though.

http://routerboard.com/RB2011UiAS-RM (5x GigE, 5x FastE, $120)

http://routerboard.com/RB1100AHx2 (13 GigE, $350)

Charles