installfest statuses

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Wed Jan 29 11:02:26 EST 2014

Scott Robbins:
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 08:14:05PM +0530, Sujit K M wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Mike N. <mike at myownsoho.net> wrote:
>>> I did not make it to the installfest, but I did install PCBSD on my laptop
>>> this week.
>>>
>>> here's a link to my dmesg: http://www.nycbug.org/?action=dmesgd&dmesgid=2516
>>
>> The FreeBSD manual has a section. Hope this helps.
>
> Actually, not looking that good for that card.
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/dev/iwn(4)
>
> There does seem to be a patch on github
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2013-September/044513.html

I am using iwn(4) successfully, but not with that chipset IIRC.  If you
haven't already, try "kldload iwn" and see what happens.. at least to
see if it's recognized.  Then "kldstat" and "ifconfig".

But at the end of the day, it's better to just pickup a wireless card
for laptops.  It's not worth the hassles and headaches of a crappy
driver.  They are dirt cheap and they are usually simple enough to
install.  And if you can't get around the BIOS' whitelist, then get a
USB one.