[talk] NYC ISP recommendations

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Wed Jun 4 17:51:05 EDT 2014

On Jun 4, 2014, at 10:06 AM, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:

> Henry Mendez:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Sorry this isn't BSD related, but I wondering if anyone has any
>> recommendations for ISPs in NYC. This is for an office for ~40 people.
>>
>> We currently use TimeWarner and recently the service has been, well...shit.
>> I've used Cogent in the past, and was happy with their service, but I'm
>> curious to what the collective have to say.
>>
>> Any info would be much appreciated.
>
> Ha... this has come up before.. probably for a reason.
>
> Is TWC the worst provider in Manhattan?  Survey says...
>
> I know Charles is on-list from Bway.. but I know there's older threads
> on this, but we should make it a regular thread since it's always in flux.

Were always adding new last-mile options, particularly on the
business side.

IPv4 and IPv6, both with two transit providers (not to bash on
cogent, but when they have a peering dispute, you dont have any way
to route around that, those issues dont affect us).

And unlike our Verizon friends, we will not choke your Netflix,
Google or Amazon (CLOUD!) traffic.  We dont have a giant captive
audience of eyeballs like TWC or VZ, so peering is a benefit to us,
not a lost revenue stream.

/sales

Im not totally comfortable pimping here, but if anyone wants to chat
about megaproviders vs.  local providers without actually speaking
of Bway.net directly, thats always an interesting conversation.

Charles