[talk] August NYCBUG Meeting

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Mon Jun 23 11:14:18 EDT 2014

Jim B.:
> * Brian Callahan <bcallah at devio.us> [2014-06-20 23:21]:
>> Hi talk --
>>
>> I'm not trying to pre-empt Steven's upcoming July NYCBUG talk, but I
>> want to give people here ample notice for the August meeting, especially
>> those considering participating.
>>
>> The August talk will be a hybrid talk-workshop on writing your first
>> OpenBSD port. Let me be clear: you *do not* have to participate in the
>> workshop to attend. You will learn plenty without participation and you
>> are encouraged to attend even if you don't want to partake in the workshop.
>
> [snip]
>
> Aaargh...
>
> This is at least the third time I've reeeeaaalllyy wanted to
> be back in the NYC area for NYCBUG meetings.
>
> Good show Brian!  Hope it's a blast!

Yes, so the point of this (and a number of our other meetings) is to
create a bridge from end-user to developer of sorts.

Ports is likely the best entry point for most people, besides docs.  And
it provides something of a motivation since you actual have a tangible
product with a function.

This is a great opportunity for those who are not developers and also
for those who do maintain/create other software now that they would like
to see ported.