[talk] mid-town connectivity

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Fri Mar 14 19:00:03 EDT 2014

Mark Saad:

>> On Mar 14, 2014, at 3:56 PM, Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:
>>
>>> On Mar 14, 2014, at 2:08 PM, Pete Wright wrote:
>>>
>>> also i remember back in the day con edison pretty much had every
>>> building outfitted with dark fiber, but i think they got out of the
>>> comms business a while ago.
>>
>> The network still exists, and other than a major issue with a
>> spanning tree meltdown a few months back, it's been rock-solid -
>> we're a layer 2 customer and we sell tail circuits through them.
>> Detailed and well in advance notices of service-impacting and
>> non-service-impacting maintenance, a very responsive NOC, and in
>> most places a point of entry to the building that's on the opposite
>> end of the telco stuff which is nice since backhoes avoid power
>> lines better than telco lines.  Sandy had no impact except for one
>> unique location where we had a VZ tail circuit and something got wet
>> that shouldn't have.
>>
>> Sidera was really big into the financial firms, and had some very
>> high-priced offerings where they'd shave a few milliseconds or
>> microseconds off the route.  We obviously don't bother with those
>> services, but we do share in the benefits when they're making
>> hardware decisions.  I see no evidence they grossly oversell any of
>> the layer 2 services we buy.
>>
>> If I remember correctly, the chain of ownership goes like this:
>>
>> ConEd -> RCN -> Sidera -> Lightower (merger?)
>>
>  Coned CEC merged with RCN , RCN metro networks split from RCN and merged with another transit provider and became Sidera . Sidera merged with Lightower .  I work in a lightower facility , as a customer .
>

>> I can't speak about their IP transit services, we don't use them.
>> We are legacy Level3 and Hurricane, with Level3 being preferred.  We
>> also get IPv6 transit from both upstreams.  We are Cogent-free (with
>> good reason).
>>
>> Charles
>>
>>> -pete
>>>

> At $WORK we use two sets of mux'd ds3 and t1 links . The sets are from cogent and Verizon iirc it's  20 t1 mux'd to one 100m ethernet handoff and for the ds3's it's 4 mux'd into a gig ethernet handoff .  Verizon took a while To get it up and running . Cogent was faster but had to use verizon for in building handoffs . We also have a private point to point fiber set from lightower and they have been good at making things happen , however we do not use them for ip services .
>
> So what's it like : It's good enough that the c levels down to everyone but network operations  likes the speed and reliability . I have no idea what the cost is but we have fairly deep pockets .

Thanks for all the replies.  Good stuff.  I browsed through them as they
came in, but will work through more thoroughly tonight.

It just kills me that if we were in SK, JP and a bunch of other places,
such a post would be pointless.  I'd have ipv6 with 30m synchronous for
$19.95 a month myself.  It's just a reminder of how infrastructure is
sooo broken in this city.  I could have made the same post ten or 15
years ago.

Very appreciated for the input though...