[talk] JVM Questions

Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com
Wed Mar 19 18:45:09 EDT 2014

> On Mar 19, 2014, at 4:23 PM, "Isaac (.ike) Levy" <ike at blackskyresearch.net> wrote:
>

> Hi All,
>
> A Java question, for my own sanity.
>
> Some folks I know are convinced that Oracle JDK and OpenJDK are identical.
> (OpenJDK is our Production standard for many reasons, yet follks keep using to Oracle JDK for dev...)
>
> QUESTIONS:
>
> Do folks here know anywhere I can find some practical code examples which expose the nasty bugs which can be encountered?

So openjdk 7 is the reference implementation of the version 7 of the java spec . Iirc there is no single place for this only bug reports on how open behaves poorly compared to the reference .

> Do folks here have any such examples, perhaps from your fine Java colleagues? (unsigned/signed int mania differences in particular)?

There are lots if bullshit reports that mistakenly point to openjdk6 issues . Openjdk6 is not the same as openjdk7 . 6 was made by taking 7 and hacking in the old spec . It breaks in weird ways . Forget it exists .

> In the vast and disparate world of Java, is there another good place where I should ask to find examples of this stuff?
>
> I'm dying to get my hands on some code to demonstrate the JVM implementation differences, so we can quit focusing on high level language spec discussions.

The java test kit that the FreeBSD foundation used to certify the diablo jkd as compliant , would be a good staring point .