[talk] /. on "don't be a server hugger"

Edward Capriolo edlinuxguru at gmail.com
Fri May 16 02:27:02 EDT 2014

I think the 'cloud' most people use (AWS) is the most ironic technology
ever. It using xen and virtualisation, but you still pay for servers as if
they are a physical thing on a rack. M1.xl is X cents on hour even if it is
idling. With AWS you give up 'server hugging' for 'XEN server hugging' .

IMHO heroku and erlang clouds http://cloudi.org/  are more interesting
because they offer something conceptually different than thinking of
compute resources as "servers" that need "software installed" on them. (AWS
does have some pay per use services like this (email, simpledb) )