[talk] /. on "don't be a server hugger"

Brian Coca briancoca+nycbug at gmail.com
Fri May 16 10:42:59 EDT 2014

My math will have to be redone as prices have changed a lot, but 3 years
ago I found that when you get enough 24/7 active machines to justify 2
racks (35+ Us, not counting switches/etc),  you are better off
(economically) with your own DC, lower than that most clouds are cheaper,
specially if can destroy/down unused instances off hours.

Again this was just a dollar and cents comparison, many other factors might
weigh in on the decision. It is nice to scale up/down in a matter of
minutes, but that depends a lot on your business needs.