[talk] $1m donation to FreeBSD

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Thu Nov 20 09:40:12 EST 2014

Pete Wright:
> On 11/18/14 6:03 AM, George Rosamond wrote:
>> Just as we're finally wrapping up the February con money and donating a
>> whopping $1109.25 to each of the four BSD projects, we are outdone.
>>
>> The founder of WhatsApp donated $1m to the FreeBSD Foundation.
>>
>> https://freebsdfoundation.blogspot.com/2014/11/freebsd-foundation-announces-generous.html
>>

> his facebook post explaining his reasoning for the donation is pretty
> good too i think - for those lucky enough to not have a facebook account
> it boils down to this quote:

(those with fb pages are lucky? ;P

> "We’ll all benefit if FreeBSD can continue to give people the same
> opportunity it gave me – if it can lift more immigrant kids out of
> poverty, and help more startups build something successful, and even
> transformative."

On a related but much smaller note, we finally closed out the accounting
for NYCBSDCon 2014.  Yes, it took a while, but we're all volunteers here.

Donations of $1109.25 are in transit to or have been received by the
four BSD projects.

www.nycbsdcon.org

It goes without saying that everyone involved deserves a huge thanks.  A
lot of people deal with logistics and the PITA details, a lot of people
drag along people from work, and we don't have any hassles with sponsors.

And thanks to Boris K. for smashing the auction expectations for the new
edition of Michael W Lucas' OpenBSD book.

In order to do another similar event, we need to scope out new space, as
Suspenders is no more.