[talk] Creating a test lab for OpenSource Operating Systems

Edward Capriolo edlinuxguru at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 19:23:37 EST 2014

A nice way to do this is to find an older generation blade center. They
typically have nice remote management features. This makes it easy to do
bare metal installs remotely and you can likely get roughly 14 systems in a
6u space.

When you say 'a bunch' roughly how many is that?

On Thursday, November 20, 2014, Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:

> On 11/20/14 11:33, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I was asked by George to post here. Some folks at NetBSD have been
>> toying with the idea to provide a set of test machines that are
>> internet accessible for testing, performance, and comparison
>> purposes. Since we (NetBSD) don't have any more hosting space
>> available, we are asking if nycbug is interested in hosting such
>> a beast.
>>
>> The idea is to have a bunch of machines with identical hardware
>> running different OS's (Linux, NetBSD, FreeBSD, Illumos, etc.) so
>> that we can compare performance and behavior. We would probably
>> make the machines netboot standardized images, and people could
>> reserve time on them to do their work. When the work is completed
>> people would check the machines back to the pool and any local
>> changes would be destroyed.
>>
>> NetBSD can provide some of the hardware (there are lots of decent
>> machines on E-bay for not a lot of money).
>>
>> I think that having such as setup would be useful to people for
>> interoperatibility, compatibility and performance testing.
>>

> Hi Christos,
>         I think this is a great idea and would be keen to assist where
> possible.  I can see lots of benefit in this arena as well for not just
> OS's but the management tools for managing heterogenous environments. For
> example - I use cobbler quite extensively to manage my pxe environments,
> but I rarely have to support more than RedHat and FreeBSD systems.  So
> having a lab like this could really benefit the cobbler project to ensure
> support for Net/Open/Dragonfly BSD as well as Illumos is up to snuff.
>
> Keep me in the loop!
>
> Cheers,
> -pete
>

> --
> Pete Wright
> pete at nomadlogic.org
> twitter => @nomadlogicLA

Sorry this was sent from mobile. Will do less grammar and spell check than
usual.