[talk] Ask Slashdot: Workaday Software For BSD On the Desktop?

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Fri Nov 21 18:59:08 EST 2014

On 11/21/14 15:34, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 05:58:20PM -0500, George Rosamond wrote:
>> Scott Robbins:

> (Pete wrote)

> (I, Scott, wrote)
>

>>> Good point, that I overlooked.
>>>

>> Something got lost here.  Or my reading comprehension is poor.
>

>> Pete brought up OSX users as a group that "uses Unix."  Well, yes, if
>> you count the fees included in formally making that statement and the
>> lot of its origins, userland, etc.
>>
>> But I would almost put them in the same boat as Ubuntu-esque Linux
>> users.  They don't know there's a shell on the box/device, well, outside
>> of Spork's picture.  We were talking about the paths of today's "Unix
>> users."  I see most OSX users in much the same light: we're alternative
>> rebels against Windows.. .or at least they used to act like that,
>> without much more depth.
>
> I think what Pete means is that all those OS X users make vendors worry
> about Apple, and Apple worry about supporting its users, sometimes creating
> things that can be used by the BSDs.  I don't pretend to speak for Pete,
> but that is what I took away from it.

yea that is pretty much the argument I wasn't clearly stating.  although
to be honest i think i've even confused myself as to what my original
point is - lol :)

i think it was:
- lots and lots of osx users, they don't know they are using unix.  but
there are a shit ton of them out there for better or worse.

- fair amount of "hackers" using ubuntu or what ever gui linux'y thing
is cool these days.  they are pretty much clueless when it comes to unix
design patterns - yet they feel like they invented what ever "project"
that comes around <cough> docker/containers</cough>.

- and finally traditional unix people that well all know and love.

i also think i was bummed out at some point that i can't find a good
laptop (hardware wise) to replace my macbook pro.

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org