[talk] Cheap Laptops/Netbook

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Tue Sep 16 12:17:59 EDT 2014

If you're looking for something Pi-based, any cost savings will be
offset by the hardware hacking it will probably require.  I am curious
about the Intel Edison parts that SparkFun has now, speaking of that
stuff...

As other people have said, the Thinkpad machines are generally study
and work well.  I have an an ancient IBM R600 that I can't bear to
throw away, even though I have nowhere to use it.  It still runs
great, considering.

The Lenovo Outlet is selling a X131e refurb laptop for under $300 just
now when I looked; I imagine ebay/craigslist might also have cheap
models.  I don't know if that particular model works as well as the
other ones people report here.