[talk] VPNs: Choosing between OpenVPN and L2TP/IPsec

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Sun Apr 19 19:39:50 EDT 2015

On 04/19/15 19:25, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> On Apr 19,  1:29pm, ike at blackskyresearch.net ("Isaac (.ike) Levy") wrote:
> -- Subject: [talk] VPNs: Choosing between OpenVPN and L2TP/IPsec
>
> | Hi All,
> |
> | So I thought folks here may have words on a topic which has hit this
> | list in years past: VPN choices.
>
> I am using L2TP/IPSEC on NetBSD using racoon, xl2tpd from pkgsrc. It works
> just fine with my mac and iphone.
>
> I've put some instructions on how to do it here:
>
> https://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/how_to_create_an_l2tp_ipsec_tunnel_between_an_android_or_iphone_or_ios_device_to_netbsd/

Cool write-up, thanks!

Christos, I don't mean to put you on the spot, but I figure you're a
great person to thoughtfully comment on the relative security of IPSec
itself these days?

Problems like these worry me,
http://www.mail-archive.com/cryptography@metzdowd.com/msg12325.html

To me, it IPSec seems ripe for a very serious design flaw to come to
light in coming years- and at the least, all the fuss surrounding it-
and it's relative complexity- bothers me more.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts here?

Best,
.ike