[talk] vxlan interfaces

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Fri Aug 14 14:52:39 EDT 2015

noticed this addition to FreeBSD in the 10.2-RELEASE notes yesterday:

"The vxlan(4) driver has been added, which creates a virtual Layer 2
(Ethernet) network overlaid in a Layer 3 (IP/UDP) network. The vxlan(4)
driver is analogous to vlan(4), but is designed to be better suited for
large, multiple-tenant datacenter environments. [r284365]"

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=vxlan&apropos=0&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+10.2-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html

This looks pretty interesting to me and it looks like this is supported
by Cisco (as well as other switch vendors probably too).  Has anyone on
the list used this in production?

I'd love to hear some use-cases - I can think of it being useful in the
virutalization world (amazon VPC for example).

cheers!
-pete

--
Pete Wright