[talk] vxlan interfaces

Jesse Callaway bonsaime at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 10:05:22 EDT 2015

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 8:50 AM, Jesse Callaway <bonsaime at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 2:52 PM, Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:
>
>> noticed this addition to FreeBSD in the 10.2-RELEASE notes yesterday:
>>
>> "The vxlan(4) driver has been added, which creates a virtual Layer 2
>> (Ethernet) network overlaid in a Layer 3 (IP/UDP) network. The vxlan(4)
>> driver is analogous to vlan(4), but is designed to be better suited for
>> large, multiple-tenant datacenter environments. [r284365]"
>>

>> https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=vxlan&apropos=0&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+10.2-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html
>>
>> This looks pretty interesting to me and it looks like this is supported
>> by Cisco (as well as other switch vendors probably too).  Has anyone on the
>> list used this in production?
>>
>> I'd love to hear some use-cases - I can think of it being useful in the
>> virutalization world (amazon VPC for example).
>>
>> cheers!
>> -pete
>>

>> --
>> Pete Wright
>> pete at nomadlogic.org

> I wonder if this is the sauce AWS uses/invented.
>
> --
> -jesse

Looking over it.. .and I don't know how I missed your last sentence there.
The RFC was drafted by engineers employed at Cisco, Arista, Broadcom,
RedHat, Vmware, and Citrix. I'm pretty sure that this is what the VPC's use
from how the Amazon sales engineers explained it. This is also how I got
the impression that they invented it, but what was said was actually that
"we had to write our own code for a custom solution".

--
-jesse