[talk] Ike's OpenBSD laptop meeting

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Feb 1 10:06:26 EST 2015

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 05:04:23PM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 04:34:03PM -0500, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> > On Jan 31,  4:30pm, george at ceetonetechnology.com (George Rosamond) wrote:
> > -- Subject: [talk] Ike's OpenBSD laptop meeting
> >
> > | For those who don't have a laptop to test out OpenBSD on and don't have
> > | an extra disk to install it on, I recommend hitting Ebay for a Thinkpad,
> > | even an ancient one.  An x120e works nicely, and believe it or not, an
> > | x60/61 is sufficient also.  Don't pay a lot for either, and you'll
> > | probably need to buy a new battery.
> > |
> > | Note that the meeting is on February 10th, the SECOND TUESDAY of the month.
>
> For what it's worth, while not sure if this would run with OpenBSD, NewEgg
> is selling some refurbished Lenovo L420's, with 4GB of RAM and i5
> processors, for around $260 through Think Green PC.

Well, I tested this this morning with OpenBSD,and unfortunately, upon
booting from an install USB it stopped with an error a few lines after
booting.  It's not something I'm going to investigate, as my time is
limited and I can easily run OpenBSD on two other laptops that I have.  I
didn't do any testing outside of creating the USB and trying to boot the
laptop.  Anyway, judging from this one, not at all investigated experience,
the laptop I mentioned last night might not be the best choice for ann
OpenBSD laptop--or, it may be some slightly off hardware on my USB or the
laptop that I have, and not affect anyone but me.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6