[talk] Optimum provided home router madness

Ah Pook ahpook at verizon.net
Mon Feb 2 10:12:17 EST 2015

On 02/02/2015 09:25 AM, George Rosamond wrote:
> Nick Danger:
>> One of the WiFi's is layer 2 back to "HQ" so they can let everyone on
>> the same company/brand surf the modem at your house without knowing your
>> wifi username and password.
>>

> I was under the impression that Comcast and TWC got rid of residential
> users providing free wifi to their customers.  Wasn't that some /. story
> a while back?

This thing?
http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Comcast-sued-for-turning-home-Wi-Fi-routers-into-5943750.php
(link wraps)

They wanted to basically piggyback on having market share.  It's a
lovely idea from a technical perspective... maybe no so much from a
"wait, I'm giving you guys 80 bucks a month and you're eating my
bandwidth?" one.

> It's sort of a funny issue.  On the one hand, residential users are
> powering the cable company's wifi for their other customers with no
> compensation.  On the other hand, a lot of their customers using others
> wifi are likely to come under the sights of the RIAA/MPAA and their
> racketeering cohorts.  No?

Sort of reminds me of Sony - one division sells you blank CDs, and the
other sues you for using them.