[talk] m0n0wall project ending
Isaac (.ike) Levy
ike at blackskyresearch.net
Tue Feb 17 22:01:51 EST 2015
On 02/15/15 14:19, Brian Callahan wrote:
> BSD Now has had some coverage of OPNsense recently. I think they
> interviewed one of the project members. Worth checking out if you have
> some time.
Interesting, watched the video with one of the core developers, Ad
- Their background is not *BSD, they were building/selling Linux
appliances ( http://www.deciso.com/ )
- Their company built various appliances based on FreeNAS et. al.
- They want this project to start, and continue, completely Openly.
- Plans to leverage pkg installs from FreeBSD pkg(1)
- Working hard to decouple- stated aim appears to be tracking FreeBSD
closer (10.1 is target, pfSense specific bits prevent this right now)
- No opposition to porting the work to OpenBSD, (but they won't probably
be doing that themselves)
- Re-factoring the code completely, feature by feature
- built new framework under the front end to manage actual bits
- Looking for involvement- documentation, testing, etc...
- Forum, email lists, github
- Doing Ubuntu "funny naming" for releases
- "Version numbers say nothing to clients"
When asked "What's the future of the project?"
"Lets see what happens in 6 months, to see if we're still here with a
functioning project :)"
At the least, a very interesting start.
More information about the talk