[talk] FreeBSD RNG issue on -current only

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue Feb 17 22:26:19 EST 2015

Isaac (.ike) Levy:
> On 02/17/15 21:00, George Rosamond wrote:
>> Isaac (.ike) Levy:

>>> I'm by no means an authority- but wouldn't testing using a tool like
>>> ent(8) do the job, crudely even?
>>>
>>> http://www.fourmilab.ch/random/
>>
>> That's a cool tool... don't know why I hadn't seen it before.
>>
>> Anyone use it before?
>>
>> Seems useful for testing password entropy, at least.

> I first found it in a Calomel article,
>
> https://calomel.org/entropy_random_number_generators.html
>
> (I hear Bcallah loves these guys? ;)
>
> Anyhow, fun article- but I'm no authority, and RNG is obviously a
> serious topic- so I don't want to pretend to suggest this as though it's
> an authoritative resource.

diehard and dieharder are both in FreeBSD ports.  OpenBSD has the ent
package.

I'm playing with them now... anyone have previous experience with them?

Outside of testing RNG output, I can see using these to really test the
entropy of passwds, as opposed to relying on those wonderfully useless
online passwd tests.