[talk] Microsoft getting behind OpenSSH

Justin Dearing zippy1981 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 15:38:28 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 2:50 PM Steven Kreuzer <skreuzer at exit2shell.com>
wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2015, at 2:32 PM, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com>
> wrote:
>
> I think it's safe to assume this is the first time MS devs will be
> pushing any code to a BSD project, at least at any scale.
>

> Microsoft has been working very closely with several FreeBSD developers to
> add support
> for HyperV.

Also, although its been freebsd people doing the work, and Microsoft
accepting the patches, the CoreCLR (next gen server .NET runtime) project
is building on FreeBSD, and Microsoft has been very supportive of that.
http://dotnet-ci.cloudapp.net/job/dotnet_coreclr_freebsd_release/1/console
http://dotnet-ci.cloudapp.net/job/dotnet_coreclr_freebsd_debug/1/console

They've also been contributing to openssl:
https://github.com/microsoft/openssl.

They're not perfect. The OS is still closed source, but its a different
Microsoft than when Balmer ran the microsoft armada. I for one can't wait
to be able to ssh from the new windows 10 console (which finally lets you
resize the window with the mouse like xterm has for decades) into a linux
box.

I might even get X11 support built in by the end of this decade.