[talk] FreeBSD Netmap

Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com
Tue Jun 30 11:30:10 EDT 2015

On 6/30/15 11:23 AM, George Neville-Neil wrote:
> With BPF or just generally?  netmap is now part of HEAD's GENERIC config.
>
> Best,
> George
>

> On 29 Jun 2015, at 20:32, Mark Saad wrote:
>
>> Gnn
>> Thanks for the info , I'll check it out when I am back at work . Do
>> you know off hand if loading the netmap module is supposed  to work ,
>> out of the box ?
>>
>> ---
>> Mark Saad | mark.saad at ymail.com
>>
>>> On Jun 29, 2015, at 5:05 PM, George Neville-Neil
>>> <gnn at neville-neil.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Blast packets at it and see how many drop.
>>>
>>> Also, it ought to be recorded in the pcap file which type of
>>> interface the packet came in on
>>> DLT_foo.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> George

I think that netmap is not working on 10.1-RELEASE or 10.2-PRERELEASE
(STABLE)  I am stumped with this

I rolled it into the kernel . Outwardly it looks like it built in .

root at nocbox:~ # kldstat -v | fgrep -A 2 -B 5 netmap
        128 pci/lem
        71 pccard/an
        232 null
        231 nge/miibus
        230 pci/nge
        229 netmap
        70 isa/an
        228 pci/mw

root at nocbox:~ # ls -al /dev/netmap
crw-rw----  1 root  wheel  0x7 Jun 29 21:19 /dev/netmap

root at nocbox:~ # sysctl -a dev.netmap
dev.netmap.ix_crcstrip: 0
dev.netmap.ix_rx_miss: 0
dev.netmap.ix_rx_miss_bufs: 0
dev.netmap.verbose: 0
dev.netmap.no_timestamp: 0
dev.netmap.mitigate: 1
dev.netmap.no_pendintr: 1
dev.netmap.txsync_retry: 2
dev.netmap.adaptive_io: 0
dev.netmap.flags: 0
dev.netmap.fwd: 0
dev.netmap.mmap_unreg: 0
dev.netmap.admode: 0
dev.netmap.generic_mit: 100000
dev.netmap.generic_ringsize: 1024
dev.netmap.generic_rings: 1

But I cant use it

root at nocbox:~ # tcpdump -i netmap:ix0 -c 10
tcpdump: netmap:ix0: No such device exists
(BIOCSETIF failed: Device not configured)

Any pointers ?

Mark Saad| mark.saad at ymail.com