[talk] Teaching BSD to students

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Sun Oct 4 22:19:45 EDT 2015

Nick Danger:

> On 10/03/2015 08:33 PM, George Neville-Neil wrote:
>> Well, Deb Goodkin and Justin Gibbs are the ones doing the primary
>> school work and they just started. Robert Watson and I are working on
>> University level and Practitioner courses. I can hook you up with Deb
>> and Justin if you're interested. Ping me off list. Best, George
>
> I am currently teaching a Unix SA class at my University. I am using
> RHEL6 as the platform but I am going to work in a little OpenBSD somehow
> as the students get less afraid of command lines. I'd love to see what
> materials you have come up with.

Cool.

While I'm dealing informally with a younger layer of people, my
inclination has been to start with a series of traditional unix tools,
and elaborate the toolbox approach from there.

In one case, it works parallel to someone using a BSD laptop for email,
www, etc, as an end user.

I also think that for a younger audience, a lot of standard unix intros,
ls, everything is a file, this is cat/less/more, pipes are your glue,
etc, provide decent guides.

At this level, I think the type of unix is almost irrelevant.. I mean,
posix-compliance and package systems are further down the road.

Nick: is your curriculum online somewhere?