[talk] 2015-10-07 NYCBUG- meeting TBA?

Raúl Cuza raulcuza at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 23:40:51 EDT 2015

On Oct 5, 2015, at 09:15, Isaac (.ike) Levy <ike at blackskyresearch.net> wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> This week should be a fun one:
>
> true(1) and false(1),
> The Classical Code Reading Group of Stockholm, NYC*BUG Mix Tape Edition
>
> http://www.nycbug.org/index.cgi?action=view&id=10635
>
> Best,
> .ike
>

>> On Oct 1, 2015, at 6:33 PM, Patrick McEvoy <mcevoy.pat at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Do we have anything for this? Wanted to send out a tweet on it along
>> with start the drum beat for Bourne.

Tonight was a lot of fun. Thank you everyone who took part. If nothing else it is a reminder that you can learn a lot of what to expect from your operating system by looking at the code, irrespective of whether you know what `#ifndef` means or not.

It was very interesting to see how build practices imposed a lot of bloat into the two simple programs we looked at.

I offer the Darwin version, lifted from NetBSD, as a balanced way to write `true` in c:

http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/shell_cmds/shell_cmds-118/true/

The code itself is simple and thus easy to audit, but the folder it resides in still retains the standard structure the project as a whole needs to simplify the build, test, and documentation-creation processes. It is written in C, so it doesn't have the shell overhead a nameless OS choose to do.

Speaking of which, anyone feel like running the numbers to compare the differences in speed of the various versions of `true`? If you have a super-cluster handy, you could distribute the job to 10,000 cores to get a good statistical measurement.

Raúl

Sent without help from A.I. | ' L ' |