[talk] In Contrast to BSD init, A history of modern init systems (1992-2015)

Sujit K M kmsujit at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 03:44:49 EDT 2015

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 1:08 PM, Malcolm Matalka <mmatalka at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you take a few minutes to read the website you'll notice that is imaging
> software, not an init system. The website you want is:
>
> http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html

So how is this a init system. It is only a way to Manage UNIX
Services. Quote from the home page.

"What is it?

daemontools is a collection of tools for managing UNIX services.

supervise monitors a service. It starts the service and restarts the
service if it dies. Setting up a new service is easy: all supervise
needs is a directory with a run script that runs the service.

multilog saves error messages to one or more logs. It optionally
timestamps each line and, for each log, includes or excludes lines
matching specified patterns. It automatically rotates logs to limit
the amount of disk space used. If the disk fills up, it pauses and
tries again, without losing any data."

Regards,