[talk] Python

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Wed Apr 27 16:13:58 EDT 2016

On 04/26/2016 03:56 AM, Brian Coca wrote:
> As many a Java dev has told me: "the only problem is that you did not
> install enough RAM, just add it, it's cheap!"

and therein is the issue - in practice i've found that by adding more
memory to a JVM heap will tend to worsen GC pauses, especially for
latency sensitive operations.  then you get to do all sorts of fun stuff
like storing cached objects outside of the JVM or lord knows what.

i spent about 3 months trying to help a team tune their java app when
they noticed it would periodically show latencies of several seconds.
they kept adding more memory to the heap, which made things worse.  once
we turned on debugging metrics for GC it became painfully apparent that
due to the huge heap that they had allocated GC was taking ages to
complete and stopping to world in the process.  good times :)

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org