[talk] help with sd0 target for dd on netbsd

Sujit K M kmsujit at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 00:07:57 EDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 9:25 AM, fire crow <fire at firecrow.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Does anyone know how to get access to a usb disk directly in NebBSD,
> not just going through the subpartitions. I'm trying to create
> bootable media with dd, and it seams like i can only get ahold of the
> partitions, e.g dev/sd0a, sd0b... etc, as apposed to the main
> /dev/sd0.
>

> it appears the sd0 target does not exist in /dev, or the MAKEDEV
> makefile. however there is a usb target that doesn't seam to respond
> to mount.
>
> here are some command line results to give an idea of things I've tried.
>
> $ dmesg | grep sd0
> sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: disk removable
> sd0: 29812 MB, 60571 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 61056064 sectors
>
> but ls /dev | grep sd0 is not present

I donot think there is any /dev/sd0, i.e /dev/sd0a is the device.
Try lsusb:- run it without device and then run it with the device you
will get the device.
Please mount the device and you can access.

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=lsusb&sektion=8&manpath=freebsd-release-ports

> $ mount -t cd9660 /dev/usb /mnt
> mount_cd9660: /dev/usb on /mnt Block device required
>
> $ mount -t cd9660 /dev/sd0a /mnt
> mount_cd9660: /dev/sd0a on /mnt: Device not configured

Check whether /dev/sd0a is the actual device.

> However I can mount the first partition of an sdcard
>
> $ dmesg | grep sd1
> sd1 at scsibus1 target 0 lun 0: disk removable
> sd1: fabricating a geometry
> sd1: 7640 MB, 7640 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 15646720 sectors
> sd1: fabricating a geometry
>
> $ mount /dev/sd1a /mnt
                ^^^^^^^^^

You are mounting as I have illustrated previously in the email that
you have mount
the device. Please find it highlighted.