[talk] network discovery application

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Thu Dec 8 13:01:51 EST 2016

On 12/8/16 9:39 AM, N.J. Thomas wrote:
> * John Villa <john.joe.villa at gmail.com> [2016-12-07 13:39:43-0500]:
>> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 1:29 PM, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>>> I vaguely remember some open source network discovery tools that
>>> scanned a network and produced easy to read graphical outputs,
>>>
>>> Anyone have any ideas?  Preferably something in ports...
>>
>> Have you looked into this?
>> https://nmap.org/zenmap/
>
> I think Zenmap or lanmap should do what you want. Both are in FreeBSD
> ports. (You may have to use a bit of elbow grease to get it setup for
> non-tech users.)
>
> Also check if OpenNMS is right for you -- but it's a java program, so I
> don't think there's a port for that.

I can unequivocally say that no-one should touch OpenNMS unless they are
secretly building infrastructure to take down a company from the inside
- it combines the magic of Java with the insanity of SNMP slathered with
a nice layer of XML for configuration.

those battle wounds are still a bit fresh :)

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org