[talk] Gitlabs going post-cloud with Metal

Edward Capriolo edlinuxguru at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 10:02:09 EST 2016

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 8:03 PM, Isaac (.ike) Levy <ike at blackskyresearch.net
> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> So, a breath of fresh air:
>
> Gitlabs, (revenue for Github), is apparently leaving the cloud for metal.
>
> Their open-ish community input process is pretty cool, and their numbers
> and projections line up *exactly* with what I've presented before- (one
> order of magnitude cost savings over 3 years, with radically increased
> computing/network horsepower).
>
> As if that isn’t cool enough, NYI is one of the two datacenters they are
> considering, (w00t!)
>
> Their full breakdown and request for comments is here,
> https://about.gitlab.com/2016/12/11/proposed-server-
> purchase-for-gitlab-com/
>
> They posted a cost spreadsheet breakdown here,
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XG9VXdDxNd8ipgPlEr7Nb7Eg22twX
> PuzgDwsOhtdYKQ/edit#gid=894825456
>
> And for the adventurous, a Hacker News thread,
>
> --
> Absolutely worth a read for those interested in the topic- even the
> comments, it's interesting to me to see so much good old marketing FUD
> being spouted by cloud fanboys.  (Sounds just like Microsoft vs *NIX in the
> early 2000’s).
>
> And regarding their actual spec, it’s pretty interesting too-
> straightforward, if not a bit too many bells and whistles going nuts with
> gear IMHO :)  Even with the bells and whistles, their cost comes down to
> reasonable/sustainable levels- good stuff…  After growing something as big
> as Gitlabs in AWS, I certainly guess they *deserve* to rock some bells and
> whistles.
>
> Rocket-
> .ike

One thing I have noticed is that in the recent past, vendors and developers
where quick to site the advantages of the cloud for the "cost of system
admin".

However, cloud providers have began to target higher up the food chain.
They are starting to produce software to replace vendor software. Suddenly
the software vendors find themselves in a situation similar to the "the
hangman". They were more or less complacent initially but now find
themselves in the cross hairs. They shrink into smaller corners of work
behind the logic of "cant amazon do that better then we can?"