[talk] Is getaddrinfo thread-safe on NetBSD?

A. Jesse Jiryu Davis jesse at emptysquare.net
Tue Feb 16 19:38:49 EST 2016

Hi, it's me again, and I'm asking about getaddrinfo again, but this time on
NetBSD. There's evidence that it was made thread-safe around NetBSD 4.0,
but I can't find a specific commit or bug report.

Question: Can you help me find evidence of a bugfix in NetBSD that made
getaddrinfo thread-safe?

Background:

CPython has long treated getaddrinfo as *not* thread-safe on all BSDs,
including Mac OS X. It's been updated to allow multithreaded getaddrinfo
calls on FreeBSD 5.3+, and I just updated it for Mac OS X 10.5+ with your
help:

http://bugs.python.org/issue25924

I can update CPython on OpenBSD easily because OpenBSD 5.4's release notes
say "getaddrinfo(3) is now thread-safe".

So, NetBSD is the last frontier. Between NetBSD 3 and 4, the man page was
updated to remove the "bugs: getaddrinfo is not thread-safe" warning. But
NetBSD 4's changelog does not, AFAICT, actually say that getaddrinfo was
fixed.

Thanks!
Jesse