[talk] Up board

Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com
Wed Feb 17 09:07:09 EST 2016

> On Feb 16, 2016, at 10:47 PM, George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
>
>> On 02/16/16 22:08, Sujit K M wrote:
>>> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 7:29 PM, Mark Saad <mark.saad at ymail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi talk
>>> Has anyone see the up-board . It's a raspberry pi form factor but it's an Intel cherry trail chip . So far it only has 2g of ram, but for ~$100 it looks like it could be interesting.
>>>
>>> http://up-shop.org/up-boards/19-up-board-2gb-32-gb-emmc-memory.html
>>
>> I purchased something similar at http://nextthing.co/. A 9$ computer.
>
> Vaguely similar is more like it.
>
> Look at the recent thread about the CHIP on freebsd-arm at .
>
> That board has a quarter of the RAM, and porting to a BSD is a bit more
> of a chore.  It also isn't likely to be sustainable as a business, since
> the manufacturing cost is $16 while it's selling for $9.  They intend to
> make money off peripherals, etc.
>
> More like a toy to let your cat play with IMHO.

On the chip I don't get the target market . Yes it's interesting and inexpensive . But as George said they are loosing $8/device on each sale .

For the cost I should get one to see what it can do .

What I did pickup , is the sandisk connect sdws4 . 25 bucks it's a 32gig USB stick and a small armv6 128m ram with a g wireless nic . It runs some UNIX , the legal nots reference the FreeBSD project a few time and some gnu bits .

So why is this thing of interest . One I needed a USB stick the other day . This works out of the box as a standard fat32 formatted disk , and you can interact with it via http + dav .

For my next trick I'll make ipxe boot a server off this .

In all seriousness It works well the battery works about a day of moderate usage .