[talk] NYC*BUG Tonight: HardenedBSD

Shawn Webb shawn.webb at hardenedbsd.org
Fri Jun 17 18:33:22 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 12:26:53PM -0400, George Rosamond wrote:

> June 15
> Adventures in HardenedBSD, Shawn Webb
> 18:45, Stone Creek Bar & Lounge: 140 E 27th St
> Notice: Not the usual first Wednesday
>
> Abstract
>
> This last year has been an amazing one for HardenedBSD.
>
> We're now around 1.5 years old (though our codebase has existed for
> longer) and we're starting to get noticed. This presentation talks about
> the cool things we're doing in exploit mitigation development and
> OPNSense integration.
>
> You'll hear where we've come from, what we're doing now, and where we'll
> be headed in the next year. Included will be discussions of ASLR, W^X,
> PIE + RELRO, and a few other lower-level tidbits in exploit mitigation
> development.
>
> Speaker Bio
>
> Shawn is a security engineer for G2, Inc. He is also the cofounder of
> HardenedBSD and one of its lead engineers. He was introduced into the
> security industry as a teenager, falling in love with both offensive and
> defensive security. Shawn has written tools like libhijack, which aims
> to make runtime process infection dead simple on Linux and FreeBSD. Now
> he works primarily on the defensive end, implementing exploit mitigation
> technologies in HardenedBSD.

Hey Everyone,

Thank you to all who attended both in person and online. I had a blast.
I think that was one of my favorite presentations so far, especially
with all the discussion during it. I love giving presentations, but when
they turn to be more of discussions, that's even better. We even had a
feature request come out of it!

What would NYCBUG think about an annual "State of the HardenedBSD Union"
presentation?

Thanks,

--
Shawn Webb
Cofounder and Security Engineer

GPG Key ID:          0x6A84658F52456EEE
GPG Key Fingerprint: 2ABA B6BD EF6A F486 BE89  3D9E 6A84 658F 5245 6EEE