[talk] FCC Database, interesting hardware!

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Thu Jun 30 09:21:40 EDT 2016

Hey All,

I was shown this cool gov resource, and thought it of general interest to anyone touching hardware:

  FCC Equipment Authorization Search
  https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

Nearly every piece of computer equipment has a FCC ID number, usually printed on the circuit board- and this online database should have it's application info.
Not the snappiest site in the world, but pretty cool for anyone who wants more info on various FCC regulated hardware, (wifi, bluetooth, and whatnot).  Thing is, it appears you really gotta' know how to look for it...

--
Here's a cool example of some random Broadcom hardware I found in there:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=xZioggkj4K8NPN05DK%2F6%2Fg%3D%3D&fcc_id=QDS-BRCM1017

These FCC applications have all manner of useful info, photos and often circuit diagrams, form factor and photos, EF/Radio emissions reports, antennae information, production and manufacturing variables, pretty darned cool.

--
I was messing around this AM, trying to find particular hardware listed in http://dmesgd.nycbug.org/ but I haven't found a clear way to connect the dots?

Anyhow, for the wireless and hardware hackers on list, do shout if you find something cool in there?!

Best,
.ike